Knitting Baby Clothes: Beanies, Booties, Blankies, etc.
Baby Knits for Beginners by Debbie Bliss
Three terrific sections -- a great first knitting book:
- Knitting essentials:
- equipment — needles etc
- instructions on reading a pattern
- care of garments
- Beginning to knit:
- casting on: includes a
English thumb-cast-on method.
- knit and purl
- binding (or casting) off
- picking up stitches
- and the ever-popular fixing of mistakes!
- Baby knit patterns graded from simplest through ones that expand your repertoire:
- garter stitch scarf and garter stitch blanket
- boat-necked sweater
my favorite pattern: I have knit a dozen of them and requests for them continue ...
- jacket with seed-stitch bands.
- and much more!
Simple Knits for Cherished Babies by Erika Knight
Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (2001)
by Erika Knight is also good. Especially interesting sections are:
- Excellent and easy baby bootie pattern.
- Helpful sizing charts (inches and centimeters) in the back of the book.
Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques: a Unique Visual Directory of Crochet
Techniques Plus an Inspirational Gallery of Finished Pieces
... also ...
Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques (2006)
by Jan Eaton: Techniques, tips, projects, and more! Practical and informative.