Getting Along With the Japanese
An excellent introductory book:
Getting Along With the Japanese 2nd edition (2007)
by Kate Elwood.
A concise and practical introduction to Japanese social mores,
appropriate pronounciation of a dozen phrases relevant to each,
- Twelve Key Words Useful in Understanging the Japanese.
- uchiwa: insider.
- wa: group harmony.
- honne to tatemae: real intentions verus stated, socially accepted principle.
- haji: shame.
- sassuru: inference.
- aimai: ambiguity.
- kimben: diligence.
- gaman: perseverance.
- omoiyari: consideration for others.
- ijime: giving a hard time (not quite as mean as bullying).
- giri: obligation.
- kenson: modesty.
- Face-to-Face with the Japanese
- Important Life Events
Japanese Hiragana for the five basic vowels